Greetings. First timer here so please let me know if I've posted this question in the wrong forum and what the correct one is. Thanks and glad to "meet" you.
The folks that setup our Jira system forgot to setup an auto-delete for the EMails. As a result, we're not even setup for a default delete of 45 days and, as a result of that, the AO_2C4E5C_MAILITEMCHUNK in our Jira database (on SQL Server 2016) is now occupying a whopping 127 GB, most of which is contained as LOB Data.
Just turning the delete functionality of Jira on would crush the log file with deletes not to mention it taking a month of Sundays to actually do more than a year's worth of deletes so that's pretty much out of the question until I can knock the size down.
I've checked to see if any other tables are dependent (Foreign Keys) on the AO_2C4E5C_MAILITEMCHUNK table and there are none.
I'm also a real handy DBA and I know how to do such massive deletes in a minimally logged fashion and I've already checked to make sure there are no unprocessed emails in the emails that I want to delete (more than 45 days old).
My question is, can I do such a delete directly/manually using T-SQL without it causing any damage to the system that I might not know about?
And, just to be sure, no... I'm NOT asking how to do it in T-SQL. I've got that figured out. I just need to be sure that I'm not going to break anything on the system if I do the deletes.
Thanks for your help, folks I really appreciate it.