Hi folks, I am wondering what the best practices are for tracking QA handoffs/workflows for Scrum teams.
Like any typical team, our squad pushes changes through several QA handoffs:
- Code review
- Visual qa
- Functional qa
- UAT
Currently these are set up as columns within our scrum board, but I've noticed that oftentimes our changes don't go through these linearly (waterfall), and will often parallelize (specifically vis and func qa). As such, folks don't use the jira board consistently and it can be difficult to understand the status of things.
Is it against best practice to move steps that could be parallelized, like visual qa and functional qa to "sub-tasks"? What are the risks in doing that?
While the workflow makes more sense to me in parallel, I fear we will then lose the visibility into how long each status takes. However, if folks aren't using this linearly anyways, then we don't even have that data.
Thoughts?