I have seen no use for roadmaps/timelines and been wondering why Atlassian is putting so much effort in them? All our project managers ask "Does it have excel functionality?" and thats the end of discussion.
FYI - in my case, Figma links get stuck in the loading page (using Firefox)
For some projects, I need to plan by months (date), Q or by sprints.Ā it's interesting to give flexibility on the timeframe.Ā
Option 2 is probably my preferred, the ability to extend the idea time from the timeline view is much more intuitive and inline with competing product capabilities.
The only thing that would make this feature more valuable is a read-only publicly sharable view/link that can be distributed to interested stakeholders, customers etc.Ā
In saying that, I have no issue with the current roadmap presentation options and probably wouldn't use this view much, as above, a public roadmap is much higher on my list of features.
I agree. Sharing option is a mustĀ
HiĀ @Oriol FĆ bregas PujolSorry to hear it doesn't load. I've checked Firefox and it's loading, but maybe something is on the Figma side.Could you please try again and if it doesn't work then open the attached images?Ā
HiĀ @LALĀ Thanks for sharing this! Could you expand on what "excel functionality" they value?Ā
Hi there, some clarification: we have 2 projects starting at the same time:
In both projects we're starting with a spike to understand what is doable technically and also how we should design them.Ā
We'll start other threads to discuss the "sharing" project when we're ready to seek input from the community!Ā
@HannaĀ Its the abdundance of controls/options that excel offers in addition to look and feel theyve grown accustomed to. Our roadmaps/timelines (Release schedules) are usually part of other documentation and since roadmaps/timelines on Atlassian products only serve one purpose (In addition to differing depending on Jira/Confluence and platform) these are seen as cumbersome with no additional benefits compared to tools like excel.
One concrete feature that our project managers insist on is watermarks/background images. Our roadmaps/documentation need sometimes to be plastered with our client's watermarks.
I tried suggesting just exporting roadmaps to images that they could add to any document they desire and edit afterwards but this was rejected outright as too difficult.
Id like them to start using roadmaps/timelines found on any Atlassian product (We use BitBucket/Jira/Confluence), but i havent figured out any selling point for these. We cannot allow our clients to access our systems and all delivered documentation needs 3 signatures (Release schedules included) which means basic image export is not sufficient on its own.
Is the idea of a timeline specific to the product discovery? What I mean is, when a timeline is set, does it represent the time spent during discovery, or is it meant to reflect the time up to delivery? Part of the reason I ask is because I'm not sure if there is a discovery roadmap/timeline that is separate from our development roadmap/timeline. These change so often for us that trying to keep them up to date is a chore so I wouldn't want to have to manage multiple timeline/roadmaps or create confusion about what each represents.
Based on what I'm seeing right now, I'm not sure I would use these feature. My struggles with product discovery are in organizing, reviewing and prioritizing many ideas. At this stage, I don't have a concept of a timeframe. I'm simply trying to go through the ideas, weed out the bad, add more information to the good ones in hopes of figuring out which ideas we should move forward with.
Thanks for this context!We also plan to allow for:
The case with signatures is a unique one. In your company are Project Managers responsible for building roadmaps?
I can absolutely relate and agree to this. When it comes to ideas, I need a pool to collect them, which would be Jira Product Discovery. Finetuning that idea, getting some additional information and finding out "hey this is actually a product worth developing" is something i have never had to put on a timeline.
I'm afraid that the more features like this are coming, the more duplicates will be exist compared to other Jira Editions. E.g. Subtasks to track what's left to do in an idea, or to split responsibilities, iterations that they can be planned to for better timelines and timeboxes that they will be put into to plan ahead how we want to improve the idea.
This makes it very difficult for me to understand, why I should not simply use a Jira Software Project for Ideas and add calculated fields to it, that are displayed nicely.
I think it would be helpful to have it more clearly defined in the original post what the AC differences where for these two prototypes, to me the feel really similar and I am not sure exactly what I am looking for.
Ā
A few notes:
I shared some thoughts on the purpose of a timeline view in Tanguy's thread, but here's my feedback on your prototypes! Thanks for sharing with us.
I like this set of visualization tools better than Jira's existing roadmap functionality, but agree that I wouldn't want two separate roadmaps within the same ecosystem.
It raises a good question about Product Discovery's market position: is it intended only to address capturing and evaluating ideas ahead of their development, or a product manager's toolkit throughout the product lifecycle?
I've been using it more as the latter, and use the Delivery links to monitor and report on the delivery progress of ideas well after they have been planned and passed to the engineering team for implementation.
Perhaps it's because I've spent 50+ hours in a competitor tool called ProductBoard that I find the similarity to these prototypes oddly familiar and easy to use.Ā
All of the tasks felt easy to use and familiar. I will likely use both options 1 and 2 for different purposes. I'd use "Group by Team" for example to let my own team within a domain (group of teams) see cross functional work in parallel across multiple quarters. While, using option 2 "Based on" for the purpose of doing more granular (segmented) work.Ā
Given the nature that work efforts / initiatives at my company often span more than 1 quarter, Option 1 feels more valuable to me. The challenge with either of these views is what is represented by the bars? Does it represent when work begins? or when discovery / investigation begins? Does it represent when it's done / code complete / marketing has completed announcing it to the world?Ā
To me, these are always high-level estimations, which always mean there are caveats.Ā
What is crucial is adding notes, asterisks, and/or other nuances (disclaimers, safe harbour act, etc). These visual roadmaps almost always means sales / customers will come back to us and say, "you committed to this, why isn't it delivered yet". So, we want to ensure we communicate that these are estimations that don't account for unpredictability in delivery.
Context is crucial when viewing any roadmap like this. I find that even in small companies the person creating this view must explain everything upfront, otherwise stakeholders viewing a board like this doesn't understand what it's meant to represent. If there is a way to overlay a 5 second modal that is customizable by the editor of the board, it would help provide a viewer contextual information about what is being represented by a roadmap view.
Many of my colleagues will also ask, how is this any different from Jira Advanced Roadmaps (Plans), Miro Boards, or a spreadsheet? The difference is that this is a "Product-driven" view of a forecast into the future by quarters. This means, these are high-level estimates not meant to be commitments by engineering teams on delivery.Ā
Option 1 was slightly more clear - however, I like the "more composable" nature of option 2, where the timeline is dependent on a field options can create/edit (and fully control).
(Disclaimer: I only took a quick look )
HiĀ @Paul NewellThanks for this feedback and notes on the options! Indeed the options have a slight difference and a bit of clarification could help šThe first option represents an approach with time units and date/month/quarter picker. Where it's possible to give an exact date when plans are defined and a bit more vague range like Q3, when things are not defined yet.Ā The second option represents the idea of using a select/multi-select field to create any value that will represent aĀ "time" unit. It's up to you to decide if you build a timeline based on quarters or months or releases, but it requires a field with values.Ā Ā
HiĀ @Dave PeriniThank you for sharing the feedback with us!Did I get it right that you imagine these 2 options can live together in the product? Could you share when or why would you use the time-based and custom field option?Ā
Maybe you could prompt users to choose between time-based or custom field during creation?
HiĀ @Jonathan HauThank you for sharing! I followed up in the email.Ā
Hi David,Ā Thank you for sharing your feedback!Ā Jira Product Discovery wants to help PMs to communicate their plans with stakeholders and in the future do it externally, with customers or users, for example. Jira Software has many details that such a target audience doesn't want to interact with.
We know that it's a pain to maintain and keep it up-to-dateĀ š. If you could think of what can help you with that feel free to share your ideas with us.
These change so often for us that trying to keep them up to date is a chore so I wouldn't want to have to manage multiple timeline/roadmaps or create confusion about what each represents.
Yep! I think there are use cases for both options. For example, in the past I have created separate roadmap versions for different stakeholders:
I'd prefer not to have to create custom fields to represent universal time concepts like Week, Month, or even Quarter (though some companies may differ on when quarters start/end). Ā But a custom field would be very helpful if I'm using a proprietary time range like Sprint or Release.
ThanksĀ @Dave PeriniIt's very helpful for us!
HiĀ @Hanna
Really nice that we can think along on this feature!Ā
Option 1 feels like a more intuitive approach for me personally. Currently I also use the 'Plans' feature within Jira to play around with timelines and roadmaps. And this feature feels like it's going the same directions.Ā
There is however an additional challenge for me personally.Ā We use the product discovery to document lots of ideas, some quite big and others very small. Our list of ideas is already over growing over 100 ideas.Ā As a product lead, I'm responsible on developing a logical roadmap out of the over 100 ideas for multiple platforms, where some ideas span across multiple pagetypes or even platforms and ideas can contribute to multiple goals.Ā
I'm looking for a way to more easily group multiple ideas into clusters where we can add a cluster to a timeline and break that down to see which ideas we can include in a given timeline.
I'd like to see a pagetype as a 'vertical column' in our online landscape and a 'theme' / 'topic' as a 'horizontal row'. Both would translate in clusters of ideas to pick up which I would like to group in some sort of roadmap or timeline.Ā
Does this make any sense in light of the discovery project type and forming timelines? Thanks!
1 - When doing tasks what was unclear in the flow and wouldn't work for you using it in your work? What worked and you'd be using it?
2 - Which option (option 1 or 2, or specific parts of both options) resonates more with you? Why?
3 - What is crucial for you in a such view (which might not be presented in the prototypes)? Why?
4 - Any other feedback and suggestions that you might haveĀ
HiĀ @Oliver MurrayĀ Thank you for sharing the feedback with us!
Looks great! Option 1 was more intuitive but I was wondering what field it is using to get quarter information and is there possibility to choose the field like in option 2.
What is crucial for you in a such view?
I would like the ability to visually show stakeholders when we plan to start discovery of a project (e.g. we would be reaching out to clarify requirements and do research) and when we tentatively plan on doing execution/delivery of a project. This would also help me do capacity planning/work load balancing between PMs which is something often ignored. We spent so much time capacity planning for developers and not PMs
So is the team rethinking the retirement of the public view and feedback? The one here.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.