I found this other question, https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/73136/why-do-customers-get-a-classnotfoundexception-for-pluginlicensestoragemanager-when-using-our-plugin which sounds like my users problem, only I have followed @ben-woskow-atlassian 's advice to a T.
I hate to create a duplicate question, but did not want to derail that discussion, or post a false-answer.
Based on @ben-woskow-atlassian 's answer to the above user's question I validated my approach for .jar distribution.
<plugin>
<groupId>com.atlassian.maven.plugins</groupId>
<artifactId>maven-jira-plugin</artifactId>
<version>${amps.version}</version>
<extensions>true</extensions>
<configuration>
<productVersion>${jira.version}</productVersion>
<productDataVersion>${jira.version}</productDataVersion>
<log4jProperties>src/main/resources/overrides/log4j.properties</log4jProperties>
<productDataPath>${basedir}/src/test/resources/generated-test-resources.zip</productDataPath>
<instructions>
<Private-Package>com.atlassian.upm.license.storage.lib*</Private-Package>
<DynamicImport-Package>com.atlassian.upm.api.license.entity;version="2.0.1", com.atlassian.upm.api.license;version="2.0.1", com.atlassian.upm.api.util;version="2.0.1", com.atlassian.upm.license.storage.plugin;version="${upm.license.compatibility.version}"</DynamicImport-Package>
</instructions>
<bundledArtifacts>
<bundledArtifact>
<groupId>com.atlassian.upm</groupId>
<artifactId>atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin</artifactId>
<version>1.6.3</version>
</bundledArtifact>
<bundledArtifact>
<groupId>com.atlassian.upm</groupId>
<artifactId>plugin-license-storage-plugin</artifactId>
<version>${upm.license.compatibility.version}</version>
</bundledArtifact>
</bundledArtifacts>
</configuration>
</plugin>
But a user of my plugin running JIRA 5.1.3 and UPM 2.1.5 is getting the same exception. (note that many other users have installed using evaluation and paid licenses)
```Sorry, but we cannot find the required licensing support to execute the requested operation. Please ensure that the Plugin License Storage plugin is installed and enabled. Restarting this plugin should resolve the problem.```