I wonder if anyone knows of any shortcuts or more elegant alternative to this pretzel logic I currently perform when I update filters:
Since I use the advanced filter, and the advanced filter uses Version IDs instead of Version names, I can’t just select or type the newly added versions, because:
1) I don't know the arbitrary reference # that JIRA assigns to any new version created, and
2) The comma-separated list of Version IDs I already have included in my filter isn't something I can look at and say, "oh, I see the latest version I have included is 2.3.2, so I need to type "2.3.3" to prompt the auto-fill". Even if I DO know enough to prompt the auto-fill, and even if I find the version I think I need, I won't know if it was one of the version IDs I already had in my filter because the query string only displays the version name that I typed.
3) I can’t switch to simple searching to get these either, because my query is too complex.
So what I do is create a new filter with the simple search, select all of those versions, then click to the Advanced option to view their reference numbers.
Then I paste those numbers into a spreadsheet, and sort them against the reference numbers that I already have.
Then I back out of that fake new filter creation task, and open up the existing filter, and enter the reference #s for the new versions I’m adding.
I tried looking at the Versions page for the project, but the reference numbers are not mapped to the version names, and don’t appear in the linking URL.
It really seems like the Version IDs should appear in a column on the project's versions page.