Hi @Jack Brickey
Thanks for responding to the old question... a good idea to post a new question so here it is....
My Original Issue/Question
I have a similar issue however, we have automation in place that, when the linked development project ticket status updates, the automation rule will update our service desk tickets to the matching status unless they are in a number of specific statuses ("In Progress" being one of them).
I originally set up my workflow to allow "All" statuses to transition into our dev statuses (unless they are in a handful of specific statuses like in progress) and added another transition with a validator, when going from "In Progress" to any of the development statuses, it would require the log work screen to be completed, thinking that since the transition only applied to the tickets if they are "In Progress," it wouldn't affect the other transition rule... This worked perfectly when manually changing statuses...However, once I added the automation to update a service desk ticket status when the development project ticket status changed, my workflow rules caused that automation to fail.
Is there any way I can require the log work screen ONLY when a ticket is in In Progress and moves to any status without breaking my workflow or the automation I need the system to perform? Perhaps a post function or? I know there is a "New Action" automation to log work but it makes me set a time value that gets applied to the ticket. I need our agents to be able to document the actual time they spend on a ticket and somehow I would like it to be a required screen when they are setting the ticket status when leaving "In Progress," which is the last thing they do when leaving a ticket.
Any help would be appreciated!
Sara
Your follow up question/suggestion:
how about creating another transition specifically for Automation without the Validator? You could restrict the transition to the automation 'user'.
My follow up question:
I already have 2 transitions. One has the validator on it and the "Allow All" transition doesn't have a validator. Would it work if on the Allow All transition I restrict the transition to the automation user (which I believe would be the actor?)?
Thanks for your help!!
Sara