Yesterday, Confluence worked perfectly without any issues.
This morning I tried to open a page only to find the following error message
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Negative position
at java.base/sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.read(Unknown Source)
With a long error trace that I, unfortunately, did not save.
I thought that maybe restarting the confluence instance would help that so I restarted the server and when it came back online it just showed the very first initial confluence setup screen where it asks me whether I want to install a trial version or the full version.
I went into the server application files and looked at the atlassian-confluence.log file but it only has data since the restart
2022-06-05 08:03:57,716 INFO [Catalina-utility-2] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] contextInitialized Starting Confluence 7.13.0 [build 8703 based on commit hash 791df1c41ad1e432a490f9fc6f60e3ea49358bee] - synchrony version 4.0.0-ma$2022-06-05 08:04:22,353 INFO [Catalina-utility-2] [atlassian.confluence.cluster.DefaultClusterConfigurationHelper] lambda$saveSetupConfigIntoSharedHome$9 Writing setup configuration into shared home...
2022-06-05 08:04:22,892 INFO [Catalina-utility-2] [atlassian.confluence.cluster.DefaultClusterConfigurationHelper] lambda$saveSetupConfigIntoSharedHome$9 Finished writing setup configuration into shared home
2022-06-05 08:04:35,347 INFO [Catalina-utility-2] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] lambda$earlyStartup$3 Plugin system earlyStartup begun
2022-06-05 08:04:45,301 WARN [FelixStartLevel] [extender.internal.support.ExtenderConfiguration] addDefaultDependencyFactories Gemini Blueprint extensions bundle not present, annotation processing disabled.
2022-06-05 08:04:54,422 INFO [Catalina-utility-2] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] logTime Plugin system earlyStartup ended
2022-06-05 08:04:54,431 INFO [Catalina-utility-2] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] lambda$lateStartup$4 Plugin system lateStartup begun
2022-06-05 08:04:59,829 INFO [Catalina-utility-2] [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] logTime Plugin system lateStartup ended
2022-06-05 08:05:01,043 INFO [Catalina-utility-2] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] init Confluence is ready to serve
2022-06-05 08:42:33,996 WARN [http-nio-8090-exec-8] [atlassian.confluence.xwork.SetupIncompleteInterceptor] intercept Redirecting request to current setup step: /login.action
-- url: /login.action | traceId: 000922355672bf19 | userName: anonymous
There are more log files (atlassian-confluence.log.1.locked enumerating up until 5) but when I open them I just see garbage... Does anybody know how I can open them? I suspect that would be where the original error trace could be found.
I also looked at the confluence.config.xml and that has the following content
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<confluence-configuration>
<setupStep>setupstart</setupStep>
<setupType>initial</setupType>
<buildNumber>0</buildNumber>
<properties>
<property name="access.mode">READ_WRITE</property>
<property name="confluence.setup.server.id">BQKY-3X1C-C81M-QLK5</property>
<property name="confluence.webapp.context.path"></property>
<property name="jwt.private.key">XYZ <property name="synchrony.encryption.disabled">true</property>
<property name="synchrony.proxy.enabled">true</property>
</properties>
</confluence-configuration>
Edit: I tried running the setup sequence and connecting to the existing database and I am able to connect to the DB but then it asks me whether I want to overwrite existing tables or restart the configuration, there seems to be no way to reuse the filled database.
How can this happen and how could I restore my old instance again?