On the Kanban board I have an Epic that has 3 stories "in process" and 4 stories "done". Should the Epic status be "in process" or "backlogged?
Hi @Gerald Butler
Welcome to the community!
Ideally you would move the status of your epic in status. Now, I'm assuming you have a Kanban board for epics. In that case I will ensure that it's outside of your backlog based on the status.
But discuss with your team to get agreement.
Regards
Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
Epics really only have an overarching workflow of To-do -> In-progress -> Done, but you can give them whatever Jira workflow you want as well.
The to-do, in-progress and done steps are more generalised meta-status, but they have some simple rules which I think you should consider matching:
An Epic is in To-do when it, and none of the stories it contains have been started (everything is in the backlog, possibly refined and updated, but no-one has started work on any of them)
It's done when it, and all of its stories are done - no-one is going to do any more work on any part of it.
It's in-progress when any part of it is being worked on - could be just one story, could be that all stories are done bar one - the Epic is in-progress because it's neither to-do, nor done.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.