Can we add a common prefix to Summary?
Bulk update, yes, but it will simply change all the summaries to be the one string you enter.
So adding a prefix to existing ones, no.
You should look to scripting, or, probably better, question the requirement - a fixed prefix implies you're trying to search or categorise something and that's better done with a field or label.
Is bulk label additives possible with JIRA 6.1.6?
I do not understand that question. Bulk labelling of issues works, it puts labels on a list of issues, has done since Jira 2. I'm lost on what you mean by "additives" - those are things you put in food to change the flavour, colour, texture, shelf life, etc. Not sure what it has to do with Jira, I think your spell-checker has picked the wrong word?
Putting two pieces of information in a single field is not good data design. Use a label or other field. If you really need to then first think how you will remove the prefix when you decide you don't want it after all.
The answer is probably script runner though
Sorry its a typo.. I actually meant label addition without removing existing labels.
JIRA prefixes "CLONE -" to the issue summary when cloning issues. Fortunately, you can edit the summary of the issue but I have not seen how to prevent the prefix that is added to the summary of linked sub-tasks. This causes the very problem you described when you want to remove the prefix.
You can append a prefix to the summary using a utility such as Excel then use the External System Import function to update the issues via Excel or a CSV source file. (Provided you supply and map the issue Key and Summary.) The process is similar if you want to later change or remove the prefix... edit the issue summaries in Excel and then update JIRA using External System Import. This method works well if you have a JIRA Cloud instance.
The answer is still correct - don't compound fields, it implies you're doing something wrong.
Nic, I disagree. There may be a business need to present information at the summary level. Email is a good example. Most email applications will add Re: to the subject automatically for you when you click the Reply. Also, as I commented above, JIRA adds the CLONE - prefix by default when cloning issues.
Yes, the Clone prefix is something that's useful as an indicator at a glance, but you really are wasting your time with most others - it's useless for search, it's unhelpful and can be over complex and confusing in a lot of cases, and in the vast majority of cases, it absolutely screams "I have not thought this through" because you should have it in separate dedicated fields. So you can search and use it properly.
The re: on emails is a fantastically poor design and should be replaced by email programs doing threading properly, so that's a terrible example to support your statement
I would like to see this added
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.