I am a customer to an internal IT team that uses Jira to track their efforts. I would like to extract their user stories into a database which unifies disparate data sources as the Jira data would go a long way toward fortifying the overall data set.
The requirement is that the extraction of the Jira data needs to be automated and performed via reporting server (i.e. without using single sign-on, i.e. using service account credentials or the like). On to the challenges:
- UX access to JiraSW is via Okta, which is a single sign-on provider. This complicates discussions because any solutions being explored are done through Okta and currently in my organization there is no possibility of setting up a service account in Okta.
- Automated JQL extracts seem to only be possible by email, and the data isn't attached as a flat file, it is formatted as HTML/CSS something as a table embedded in the body of the email. Scraping emails for data is a nightmare.
My reporting automation server runs on PowerShell, so the JiraPS module seems promising, but figuring out how to get credentials granted is sort of a mystery.
What's the cleanest way I can perform an ETL? Can Jira email a flat file attachment? Could I ask my team for a Jira service account so I can run JiraPS? What does it look like under the hood?