I have a requirement to upgrade our current production system from 4.1.2 to 5.0.2. In preparation to get to that point, I have setup a test JIRA installation on another system and will be doing the migration steps using the Restore from XML. I chose to use the WAR/EAR installer to keep it in track with the current production system and followed the instructions to a tee. However, when I start up JIRA from within Tomcat, it locks up and the following error is found in the catalina.out log file:
com.atlassian.util.concurrent.lazyreference$initializationexception: java.lang.noClassDefFoundError: /javax/transaction/Status
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:152)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:115)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ResettableLazyReference.get(ResettableLazyReference.java:73)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.PropertiesManager.getPropertySet(PropertiesManager.java:74)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getOption(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:261)
...more
This is followed by: "Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/transaction/Status
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassl(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:631)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:615)
and more of the same "at" statements.
I've searched for this error online, but I haven't really found anything that relates to what is causing this error and why it's stopping JIRA from starting.