I am trying to work around a perceived deficiency with Jira and Jira Service Desk. (We have the former and would evaluate the latter if we can work around this issue.)
When entering an issue we want to be able to look up a customer and get information about them (their contract type, contract status, contacts, etc.). I was thinking of creating a separate issue type called Customers that would have the desired information. Then, when entering a Jira or service desk issue, I would like a field that the user could use to query and select the appropriate customer record. For example, they could start typing "Foo" and then see choices for the "Foobar, Inc." and the "Foo & Foo Law Firm" "Customer" Issue records.
Is this possible? If so, how can I implement this? If not then does Jira provide alternatives to accomplish the same thing? Or do I need to do an external database look-up via https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.deblauwe.jira.plugin.database-values-plugin?