One of my users asked me about why the following two queries returned different results:
created >= 2013-09-01 AND created <= 2013-09-30
and
created >= startOfMonth(-1M) AND created <= endOfMonth(-1M)
The latter query returned 3 more issues than the former. The three that were only returned by the latter query were all created on September 30th. I replaced the >= and <= operators with > and < operators and moved the dates out by a day and got the same results as the query above with the startOfMonth() and endOfMonth() functions. Curious, I tried this:
created = 2013-09-30
It returned nothing, even though I was expecting that it'd return the three issues that were created on 2013-09-30.
I'm kind of surprised that JIRA didn't replace the startOfMonth() and endOfMonth() functions with the 2013-09-01 and 2013-09-30 dates, respectively, then reevaluate the JQL query. If it did this, it'd be the same as that first query, so something different is happening.
I'm assuming that I'm misunderstanding something, but I cannot firgure out what. Ideas?
Thanks,
Pete