One of the biggest struggles we are having is to control users from creating additional boards.
Atlassian has this as a feature enhancement request, but not prioritized.
Wondering if there are alternate solutions/suggestions to control the users?
Thanks,
Sunitha
@Sunitha -
Unfortunately, It's not possible to restrict board creation for admins in Jira as of right now. The best alternative that I know of is through business process trainings to educate your users (non-project admins) to avoid creating boards.
On the other hand you can adjust the Global Permissions and ensure that users are not part of any group called out from "Share dashboards and filters". However, this also will prevent your users from sharing JQL saved filter. In turns, it restrict more functionality for users other than just the board creation.
Best, Joseph Chung Yin
Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team
Viasat Inc.
Curious, why would you want users to not create boards? I would love for our users to make boards on their own
@Joseph Chung Yin thank you! Appreciate the quick response.
Yeah, I agree with your statement on restricting shared filters permissions and that's why it's not an option for us.
Let's hope the Atlassian team takes up this feature as a priority soon. Until then I guess I will have to continue to educate the users.
It truly depends on how projects are set up
It may not be an issue if there is one team per project. But some of them are set up as product teams where multiple boards/teams are created under one Project. Sort of LeSS framework where one Product backlog is shared with multiple teams. Adding more boards in addition to existing multiple boards is creating chaos.
If my reply helped to answer your question. Please click on Accept Answer when you have a chance.
Best, Joseph
I just wonder what's the problem with users creating as many boards as they like. In my case, I didn't like the Kanban boards that someone created, so I copied it, tweaked it and now I have the board behaving exactly as I need.
I think that letting users creating boards is a feature, not a problem. If you want to limit users' access to projects, you do that by using the project's permission scheme.
At the end of the day, users create filters and boards to fulfill their needs.
Hi @Sunitha, do the users create those boards just for their own need? If yes: maybe the location of the boards could be changed to "personal boards" in order to prevent chaos in the board lookup of the project?
P.S.: don't forget about the "Start with Why" posted a few weeks ago by Josh Costella
excellent suggestion! thanks for reminding us about 'personal boards'
In our use case, we have Jira connected to Jira Align to sync Feature, Epic, Story, and Sprint data from Jira to Jira Align. Each project has one, and only one, board connected to JA. When they create new scrum boards in these connected projects, sprints created, started, or completed on these extra boards breaks the synch on the connecter with JA. So then all their sprint reporting data is hosed because JA has no visibility into the other boards.
In projects that are not connected to JA, I agree with you that they can create all the boards they want. But on those connected projects, it is a huge issue for us to manage.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.