Folks,
Am trying to find a way to do "high level resource planning" with this plug-in. I'm not interested (yet) in detailed task planning which would assign issues/time to individual users. Rather, I'm interested in assigning an issue (overall a set of issues) and associated effort to team(s) of folks, without having to do so individually.
In our development process, an issue may impact multiple "teams", e.g.
- Architecture, 15 team members (4 man-weeks)
- Development, 80 team members (20 man-weeks)
- Testing, 20 team members (4 man-weeks)
- Documentation, 5 team members (2 man-weeks)
and require effort from each (as shown) to complete. Imagine a release with 100 such issues needing to be scoped/planned against a finite but aggregated resource set and you get the picture.
I've tried to create "fictious users" representing "groups", but one cannot over-subscribe/plan effort beyond 100 hours per issue, nor can one define more than 24 hours / day of allocable workload capacity per user, so that doesn't work well.
Defining teams of users doesn't help, because work must still be planning individually per member, even if by a team leader/manager.
I want to assign blocks of work (issues) against blocks of resource (teams) over time, but "coarsely" for initial work scoping and capacity planning. Later on I'd come along, remove those reservations and replace with a real detailed plan of work.
Any shortcuts or ways to "trick" Tempo into enabling what I seek?
Thanks in advance,
-Scott