That's the question.
Regards!
Are you referring to the project types available in 6.x? If so, they currently don't have any special functionality yet.
Which system? When you say "project" it probably implies Jira, but I don't want to bet on that.
Whichever system it is, what do you mean by "project type"?
Right!, JIRA projects
ok. And, again, what do you mean by "project type"?
Thanks!
When in JIRA you click the "Create Project" option, it shows a dialog box asking for a project type, you can select one from the options: Blank, bug tracking, software development, project management and so on... but, whichever option I select, the options for the project, they are all the same (or that seems to me). So I'd like to know what's the difference to choose between one or another type of project.
BTW: I'm new to JIRA
As you can see in my answer and the link I provide to documentation, they don't have any special functionality yet (but Atlassian has put them in place for future customization).
Haha, I know what you mean - I don't know why in the world they've bothered to put that in there when it doesn't do anything yet. Just leads to confusion if you ask me.
Ah, Natalie beat me to it. I've filed that at the back of my head under "irrelevant as it doesn't do anything yet", so it didn't spring to mind at all. Sorry about that.
You're welcome!
Thanks!, that answer me question!
That's right... I was banging my head.... thanks to both!
Using OnDemand (2013-09), there _does_ seem to be a difference. When a project is created with the "Simple Issue Tracking" project type, the worklog buttons show up when anonymous is allowed to "Browse Projects". However, when creating a project with a different project type, the worklog buttons don't show up. This seems to be related to the workflow scheme being used.
Please confirm or explain what I may be doing/understanding incorrectly.
That is terrible.
I feel like I jsut wasted the last 30 minutes of my life trying to figure out which project type to choose for my 2nd project. I wanted it to be the same as for the first project.
I was afraid I would make the wrong choice and have an incorrectly configured project that I'd never be able to "get right" once I found out I'd made the wrong choice.
Same with me. I spend almost 30 min in trying to find how they diiffer.
Hello,
How can we disable those template!! I mean, we would like to create automatically a Blank Project without having the panel to choose among those template?
Any clue please.
Thanks,
You can disable the templates by going into the "manage plugins" in the UPM, looking at the system plugins and finding the templates plugin. Then disable the *modules* you don't need.
Do NOT disable the whole plugin, or you could lose the ability to create any projects. Also, you won't be able to do this in OnDemand. And you'll still have to choose a project type, even if you get it down to one single type.
Can someone from Attlasian answer this question? Where can we learn more about the different projec types?
Picking a different Project Type will affect your project's initial setup to some extent and once you pick one, you can further modify your project if you don't like exactly how it set it up.
ach Project Type will setup the project with a different set of:
The JIRA Agile product introduces even more project types and the differences are mainly around the workflow being simpler and more conducive to agile processes. A good answer to another question is here:
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/228005/what-is-the-difference-between-project-types-jira-agile
The project types are described in the documentation on "Defining a Project"
Please keep in mind the project types being discussed are those present in JIRA 6.4.x and older. These types are used to determine the initial configuration of a project and are not used after the project is created.
As of JIRA 7 there are project types that are used to determine the what features show when viewing the project. The project types are Business, Software and Service Desk and are discussed in our documentation:
Cheers!
Tim | Atlassian
Glad to read this, so I spent only a couple minutes... Thank you!
It's 2021. I am still asking the same question. JIRA tells me I can't change project types; instead, I have to create a new project and bulk-move my issues.
But I still don't know what the difference between project types is.
I think you have landed in the wrong place in this conversation.
Not because you have misread or misunderstood anything. This conversation looks, at a glance, relevant to "project type".
But it is old. 8 years old. The meaning of "Project type" changed radically in October 2015, and this conversation really has no relevance.
Rather than try to compare everything and write a boring essay, I would like to ask you to ask you to raise a new question for this. A new question will get a much wider audience and probably references to changing project types that I've not run into yet.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.