We currently are running Jira (server edition) on our own on-premise infrastructure. We are planning on migrating the environment to a single-node, on-premise Datacenter instance of JIRA but I'm having trouble figuring out the size of the VM needed and the method of upgrade.
I've heard from different sources that a new VM would need to be spun up and the data migrated from the server edition to the datacenter edition. In some areas I've noticed that for a non-clustered, non-cloud version we may be either able to just upgrade our license and/or upgrade the software on the existing VM and not need to go through a migration process.
Because of infrastructure limitations, NOT having to spin up a new VM and have them run in parallel for the migration period would be HUGE. Does anyone have or know of the steps needed to upgrade a non-clustered on-premise JIRA server instance to a non-clustered, on-premise Datacenter JIRA instance (ideally with as little headache as possible)?
In terms of sizing, our current JIRA version that's servicing around ~300 users runs perfectly fine on a Windows Server 2016 VM with 2 CPU sockets and 6GB of RAM. I'm wondering if the apps, use, and user numbers won't be changing if Datacenter would require substantially more resources? If so, what should I look to allocate to either a net-new VM or to bump up my existing JIRA server?
Any assistance or recommendations would be sincerely appreciated. Because we can no longer purchase server licenses, many members of my team can no longer gain access to the Service Desk and now need to expedite the migration process to Datacenter.