In Jira4, I only allowed certain users in groups (i.e. managers) to assign issues to users. From the main top level" page while browsing issues the "Assign" and "Assign to Me" buttons were not visible. I then customized the workflow to display the Assign user pulldown menu along with other fields. ScriptRunner was then used to validate the assigned user with the following rules:
1/ If Manager then allow assigning to any user
2/ Elseif unassigned then OK
3/ Elseif issue assigned to self (i.e. currentUser) then OK
4/ Else display error below Assign User Field stating: ERROR: You can only assign this issue to yourself else your Manager will assign it."
In Jira 5, if I don't have the Assign User global permission set to allow a Reporter to set the assign user then then Assign User menu is not longer displayed on any of the workflow transition screens.
I understand the need to fix the "logic" around assigning users but this really puts a hole in my workflow process. i.e. nonManagers can assign issues to anyone. That is not acceptable.
Can I move the validation directly to the field value itself, no matter where it is set?