I need to connect Jira data to an external data source to get a complete picture of all the efforts underway. I have tried multiple solutions just to get the Jira data, each ending up overly complicated.
- Build a filter & dashboard, then export to CSV - I can create a dashboard with the records and columns that I want, but I can only export 1,000 records at a time. Given that there can be over 10,000, this is too manual to do on a routine basis as the filtering to break it into small bits is too cumbersome.
- I tried to read the data via Python. No matter what I try, though, I get the dreaded SSL error "max retries exceeded" that I've seen posted in a variety of places. None of those solutions ever eliminates the error.
- I've successfully connected and retrieved information via curl, saved the resulting response to a json file then read it into Python ... sort of. The resulting data gives way too many columns which are mostly empty and several columns yield a dictionary within a dictionary and sometimes within a dictionary. This is in contrast to the various curl examples I've seen where the example shows data that is fine for an example: less than 5 records with less than 10 columns and no nested dictionaries. I've been able to slowly build out a curl that limits the data but is still no where near as simple as the CSV export I can get with #1.
I don't mind using curl to retrieve the data but it would be nice to just keep everything in Python. Unfortunately the system admins aren't expert in the security intricacies so they pointed me here, to the Atlassian community boards. If I have to use curl, that's fine, but I find I'm building it out by trial and error by googling a question, trying something, googling a different question, getting more info and refining, repeat until done ... which seems a long way off. Even then, I'll probably have to do the same thing in Python to read the JSON output.
There has got to be a better way, I hope. If it helps, below is the curl request I've built up so far (minus anything proprietary, of course). Any wisdom or advice is greatly appreciated.
curl -D- -H "Authorization: Basic xxxxxxxxxxxxxx==" -X POST -d "{\"jql\": \"'project' = 'MYPROJ' AND 'issuetype' = 'Milestone'\",\"fields\":[\"key\"]}" -H "Content-Type: application/json" --url "https://theprocess.thecompany.com/rest/api/2/search"