Does anyone have any good examples or ideas on how to document workflows, other than the obvious built-in workflow diagrams?
We've got a number of systems we've inherited. I'm trying to wrap my head around a good clean, understandable way to present the various pieces of data in a "workflow" in a human digestible form.
Things like state x to state y uses transition z which has conditions, validations, and post-functions.
We often get tripped up by the non-obvious things, like conditions and validations and spend a fair amount of time explaining to users, as well as admins, why Bob can't move from Ready to Integrate. We end up digging into the workflow config to find out which role can do what.
I'm struggling with how to present it as simply as possible for humans to look at, and figured I can't be the only one who's struggled with this. Surely someone has similar documentation they use?