For the record, this is a 1st-time post from a long-time user. I've written a lot of JQL, and have learned to avoid using OR. The only reliable why I've found is to duplicate clauses so that everything on both sides of the OR is independent of it. The use of parenthesis is ineffective to change this. I could be missing something, but this silliness has reached my tipping point!
This query incorrectly returns 210 items:
(resolutiondate >= 2021-09-28 AND resolutiondate <= "2021-12-20 23:59") AND (project = MPH AND "Critical Response Level" in (Critical, Sensitive) AND "Morpheus ART Team" = "Internal Transfers Team") OR (issuetype = Inquiry AND assignee was in (/*list of team members removed*/))
But, by only duplicating the resolutiondate clause, this query correctly returns 4 items:
(resolutiondate >= 2021-09-28 AND resolutiondate <= "2021-12-20 23:59" AND project = MPH AND "Critical Response Level" in (Critical, Sensitive) AND "Morpheus ART Team" = "Internal Transfers Team") OR (resolutiondate >= 2021-09-28 AND resolutiondate <= "2021-12-20 23:59" AND issuetype = Inquiry AND assignee was in (/*list of team members removed*/))