Hello All,Description field in Jira Align for 'Story' is labeled as 'Story', is this by design?
Hi @sachin gangam !
Great question! I can't speak to if it was part of the original design choice, but I can say that the design works as intended because the story itself is a little longer than the title. A story is structure and looks something like "As a <user> I want to <do this thing> so that <accomplish a goal>)" - this would be too long to put in a title (hard to read in both Jira / Jira Align). The summary (or title) is just that...what is something you can call the story that makes it immediately recognizable.
Hope that helps!
Mark
Thank you, Mark. That makes sense. But I was referring to why the name of the field is 'Story' while it is getting synced with description in jira?
Ah, I gotcha - back when Jira Align was an independent product (AgileCraft) the Story object was created very intentionally and tried to avoid being too vague (instead of just a description, the product wanted to encourage users to actually put the story there). Then, and still today, Jira Align connects to Jira (and other team tools) via APIs, so the Jira Align "Story" field was synced with the description field in Jira so the information could be bi-directionally sync.
@sachin gangam the field "Story" is where AgileCraft intended the STORY field (Scrum term) be written, whether you are using:
As a [user role]
I want [this new behavior]
so that [I get this specified benefit]
or BDD
Given [this behavior]
when [ I do this]
then [this result is expected]
or any one of the other methods of "requirement definition" commonly used in agile practices.
<obvious statement>
This field should be used to provide greater detail than a simple summary so that the development team can quickly assess and size the work without unnecessary delays caused by additional meetings/emails/slack/etc to get clarity.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.