I have set up an account with my own repo (repo1) after being invited from another repo (repo2). I am given a branch from repo2 and have Write, Merge via Pull permissions on the branch in repo2. After receiving the invite from repo2, and accepting, I can see all the branches on repo2 from my repo1.
I have my own web password and I created an app password for access to the branch that appears on my account on repo1.
Repo2 is private. It has a master and 3 branches based on master. Mine is 'testBranch'.
I have downloaded (I was unable to clone) the source from 'testBranch'.
After unzipping the download I did the following:
cd to the dir where the unzipped code resides.
git init
git remote add origin <(https:// url that is shown when I select clone with my username)> we'll call it <joe> for brevity.
git add . --verbose
git commit -m "first commit"
git status
On branch master
nothing to commit, working tree clean
git push origin :testBranch
fatal: <joe> does not appear to be a git repository //<-- Ouch!
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
git fetch --dry-run --verbose
fatal: <joe> does not appear to be a git repository //<-- Ouch!
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
git push --set-upstream origin master
fatal: <joe>
does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
git remote -v
origin <joe> (fetch)
origin <joe> (push)
git remote set-url origin <joe>
git remote -v
origin <joe> (fetch)
origin <joe> (push)
git push --set-upstream origin master
Password for <joe>: *********
remote: You'll need to authenticate with a valid app password. You can create an app password from your account at https://bitbucket.org/account/admin/app-passwords
fatal: unable to access <joe> : The requested URL returned error: 403
At this point from repo1, I added a password for repo1, dutifully saved it so I could add it into config.
vi .git/config // No, one should not put the app password here but I did in order to test it. Shamelessly, I also tried my web log in password out of desperation.
git push origin master
remote: The requested repository either does not exist or you do not have access. If you believe this repository exists and you have access, make sure you're authenticated.
fatal: repository <me-the-user:my-app-passsword@joe...> not found
So??? If Admin from repo2 has not setup correct permissions? What are they?
I can see from tutorials that there should be: User and group access | Write privileges given to me by Admin on repo2.
Also, Under Workflow | Branch Permissions | Write Access & Merge via pull request
should also be privileges given to me by Admin on repo2.
I confirmed these setting with Admin on repo2.
Now what?
What is the trick here where I have repo2 that hosts a private master and provides a branch for me that I can see from my account at repo1?
I thought that a reasonable development model was:
Admin on repo2 holds and protects master. Admin creates a branch for me to use so I don't mess up master.
Admin invites outsider (me) by giving outsider-dev branch access only... with Read/Write to that branch. (Maybe this is totally wrong??)
outsider-dev makes local changes to code and pushes back to branch owned by Admin on repo2.
Maybe someone can unconfuse me? I must have the wrong process here.
I have read too many tutorials... and likely am looking at this upside down.
Will somebody roll me over?
How difficult should it be to create a master on 1 repo, invite devs to participate using branches created on the master repo and allow devs to update their branches hosted on master repo?
Thanks, any good cookbook steps would really help.