How do I import issues under an epic ?
I want to import the issue as Task under epic.
Hi @Thirukumaran_V_T
Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!
First fall create epics in Jira and use this format
where parent id is the Issue key of Epics:
Issue id is the dummy id of the issues that you want to import and link to epic.
Mapping:
Parent id--> epic link
Issue id---> issue id
Issue type --> Issue Type
Summary ---> summary
Thanks,
Mayur
Hi @Thirukumaran_V_T and welcome!
Did you read this documentation about importing a csv file? It's pretty straight forward!
Here is my CSV:Summary,Epic, type, iddemo test import 1,STAV-1, Task, 10demo test import 2,STAV-1, Task, 11
Epic-> Parent -id
id-> issue id
and I am getting this warning:
I already have a "task" in the epic (STAV-1)
While making a import sheet
Use dummy issue I'd like 1001 or 1002 like wise
And Map parent I'd colum to epic link. It will work
Hi Mayur,
Changed and still same error.
Summary,Epic, type, iddemo test import 1,STAV-1, Task, 1001demo test import 2,STAV-1, Task, 1002
Do we need to add any additional field in the issue ?
Hey @Alex Koxaras -Relational- , unfortunately there's no mention of the mapping involved to import issues under epics. However, the accepted answer is clear enough.
Need to mention that it's not possible to do so on Team-Managed projects.
In Team Managed projects the Epic Issue Key is stored in the Parent field for its child stories, whereas in Company Managed projects it is stored in the Epic Link field.Based on my experimentation with CSV import, when Parent is selected for the mapping field, the import process assumes that the issue being imported is a sub-task. If the Issue Type of the imported issue is not a sub-task issue type, then the import process reports this warning:
In Team Managed projects the Epic Issue Key is stored in the Parent field for its child stories, whereas in Company Managed projects it is stored in the Epic Link field.
Based on my experimentation with CSV import, when Parent is selected for the mapping field, the import process assumes that the issue being imported is a sub-task. If the Issue Type of the imported issue is not a sub-task issue type, then the import process reports this warning:
From: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-Do-I-Link-a-New-Task-to-an-Existing-Epic-when-doing-a-CSV/qaq-p/1811866
Hi @Mayur Jadhav would you please review what I have and point me in the right direction?
I'm trying to follow these directions of yours:
Am I misunderstanding something?
Hi @Sierra ,
Have you been able to figure this out? I'm also getting the same error that you're getting and the information from the Community is very contradictory.
Please let what you did in case you got this fixed and was able to link tickets to an Epic when importing issues into Jira.
Thanks!
Hi @Ricardo_Gomes , I was able to by using these column headers in a csv, here's an example of the formatting I had to use.
Summary Issue Type Components Epic Link Summary Epic Name
Title Epic Comp1 Exact-Name
Title Task Comp1 Exact-Name
This works everytime for me ^
The intuitive approach would, of course, be to use the value from the "Issue ID" column and put it into the "Epic Link". However, that causes import warnings and will not roll out the epic structure.
I found out that using "Epic Name"'s value in the "Epic Link" column of the CSV file does the trick.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.