Hi everyone!
When I woke up this morning, I noticed an article posted on the Atlassian Work Life blog that quickly caught my eye titled "Here’s what you should know about Cloud migration, according to those who’ve been there." And when I read through, I was thrilled to see so many great learnings our Community members were willing to share about their migration experience, such as:
Check out the full article yourself, and let us know what advice helped you or what else you'd like to learn from the Community.
Today affirmed to me the power of the Atlassian Community both as a knowledge resource and a place to empower others. Big shoutout to @Mike Rathwell @Ignacio Aredez @Sri Kumar @Dave LIAO @G subramanyam @Deepanshu Natani @Hana Kučerová and so many others for sharing your story!
💪
Dear @Jacob Wisner!
If you or any of your other cloud fanboys can show me a way to migrate to the cloud that does the two following things, then I am gonna cheer for the cloudy thing, too.
a) I am not opposed to migrating to "the cloud" ... wherever that may be, BUT: My data, my content that I typed into my confluence server hour after hour, that data will NOT leave my basement. Can your cloud do that?
b) My confluence server is installed on an Ubuntu 18.04 server running on an intel NUC with an i7 CPU and 32GB RAM, the database resides on an NVMe SSD drive. I dare you prove that ANY cloud nonsense will perform at least halfway comparable to that machine sitting squat here in the middle of my Gigabit LAN. Can your cloud do that?
Goodbye, confluence, I really loved you.
Goodbye Atlassian, you´re none better than all the other profit-1st outfits. Go stick your head in a pig!
´nuff said!
Angry B.
Hi @Bernhard Breit ! To answers your questions, our Cloud data centers are hosted on AWS cloud infrastructure. If you're curious you can read more about our cloud hosting here.
Also, we're committed to actively work on making our Cloud products faster. Recently, we implemented a single page application (SPA) framework to help speed up loads times and reduced the bundle size of data in your browser. And we've already seen a huge improvement in JSW and Confluence. In 2021, one of our most popular features, Jira Roadmaps, is now 1.5x faster than ever before, and most Confluence pages now load 2x faster. And we’re committed to continuing to increase performance even more!
I understand this doesn't meet everyone's requirements. The good news is that the Server license you have is perpetual. You can still renew it through February 2024 and get updates. After February 2022, the Server updates will be limited to security fixes, and after February 2024 there won't be any updates at all - but your license will continue to be yours.
Hmm. Now if you could show me a way to re-install that license which "will continue to be mine" onto a new machine or a new OS without having to validate it, then I could accept what you write as "good news" indeed. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but till now every time I moved my confluence installation I had to provide a license - which for simplicity I did by just buying a new one for the new machine. Nevertheless, is there a way to take a license to another machine and will that work even when the license is expired?
Hi @Bernhard Breit Sorry for the delayed response, but I wanted to look into this issue deeper for you to give you the correct answer and understanding of the process.
After the license has expired, you should be fine to move it to another machine. The Server ID is required only when the license is renewed or activated for the first time. After 2024, no one will be able to renew, so you will not be prompted to do so.
Hope this helps!
Thanks @Jacob Wisner for the answer, means that I can drag my feet a bit more till I finally will have to move to some other documentation tool - but move I must because sooner or later a software that is no longer maintained will run into trouble.
There is one hope that remains - that Atlassian will find their good heart and provide a regularly updated community version of Confluence without support or anything. Would not cause much trouble, just copy the datacenter distribution, provide it with a built in general community license that limits it to 10 users and thats it. Why not?
@Bernhard Breit - in case you haven't seen this, Atlassian is providing Community licenses for their Data Center products. Like the Server Community licenses now, you'll need to apply annually for them.
I don't have any personal experience with the Community license program, but hope that's useful. TGIF!
💪💪💪
Hi @Dave LIAO and thanks for your hint. Unfortunately, I do not think that I will be able to persuade Atlassian that I am a non-profit organisation or something of the kind. It´s just me, lonesome me, and myself and us three dont have no organisation. So maybe I will give it a try and go through that validation process in order to get hold of a datacenter license ... we´ll see.
Another great read @Jacob Wisner. I read the blog post at the time it was released, but re-read it again after coming across your summary today, and appreciated it more.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.