I was quite excited about the possibility of full LDAP integration, which would solve the perennial issues of
- permissioning users who haven't logged on yet,
- making all users in the company available in user custom fields
- retiring users from jira when they've left the company, so they can't be assigned items etc
Unfortunately I've now realised that it hasn't been properly thought through, or I'm missing something.
When a user is removed from LDAP, if they are an assignee or reporter they show in jira as just their username, and it's not linked, nor can you search for them.
When their user is the value of a user custom field, this field just does not show anymore for relevant issues, and a message is logged: "Issue XYZ-5 has an invalid value 'someuser' stored in the field 'User Custom Field'"
Atlassian say We recommend that you perform all user management in JIRA. Wait a minute, this is ridiculous. Does anyone think that in a company of 60k people, HR are gonna call the jira guy and ask him to delete the user from jira?
A sensible thing to happen might be that in this scenario the user is moved to an internal directory called "Retired Users" or something. But you can't create internal directories so I can't even attempt to do it myself.
Someone please help me with what I'm missing here.