I have an important epic that I need to assign to a team next week. I have it ranked at the top of the scope in a JIRA Portfolio plan. It's associate with an initiative that's also ranked at the top of the initiative list. It is marked "Highest" priority. It's got a release that's marked due next week, fixed deadline. No scheduling constraints, no dependencies.
The problem is that JIRA Portfolio ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to schedule that work for next week. There are four or five epics above it for that team that all have lower priorities. They're all ranked lower on the board. None of them have scheduling constraints. No dependencies between any of them. I can't find any reason why all of these other milestones would be scheduled before the top-priority task that's ranked at the top of the scope list.
I desperately need to schedule that work for DO THIS NEXT. JIRA Portfolio disagrees. 'No, you should do these other things next instead, and missing that hard deadline is no problem.' WHY. Is there any way to troubleshoot the decisions that it makes? If it's going to ignore the rank on the epic list and also the priorities on the epics then shouldn't it at least notice that it's going to miss the hard deadline on the release? Do none of those things matter at all and it's just rolling dice to calculate the schedule? How can I find out why it's making the decisions that it makes?
Obviously nobody will be able to help me to schedule this work, so I'm going to have to manually set up a schedule for the team without using JIRA Portfolio. I'm looking for general guidance on how to deal with these scheduling mysteries.
In general, I need to be able to control the schedule. If I have something that's urgent that needs to start next then I can't have a planning automation tool telling me that I'm wrong, that the task really should start next month instead. I can't even think about training other people to use JIRA Portfolio and institutionalizing it within our company if I can't schedule an urgent task to start as soon as possible.