I'd like to simplify our current roadmap process, which is spread between disparate tools, by centralizing in Jira and using Epics to automatically hydrate a Jira roadmap. We'd like the ability to quickly communicate to our busy stakeholders whether a given project is on track or off track to a given date. Ideally, this would be a text field that can also render color, e.g.: "On track" (green), "At risk" (yellow), "Off track" (red). It is fine for the field to be manually adjusted (i.e., it does not need to automatically change based on a date field).
I would be happy to add custom statuses to a Jira workflow to achieve this, but it looks like the only available status categories are colored grey, blue, or green, which makes it hard to represent "at risk" and "off track" appropriately.
I would also be happy with a custom field, but may need some help configuring one. I see that I can have a multi-select type field populated with values that I determine in the admin panel, but I don't see a way to render colors in this field type. I also see that I can have a free text type field which supports wiki style rendering, but I don't see a way to control the accepted values for this field which risks things getting out of hand.
Any thoughts on the best way to configure this? Thanks.