I am using Confluence Cloud.
Is there a way to hide content on a page from viewers? For instance notes that only the page owner needs to see that are specific to part of the content and need to see while in Edit mode, but don't need viewers to see?
On Cloud, you can use the HTML comment macro from Adaptavist's Content Formatting Macros.
There is a trick I've used for this, but it's a bit clunky the way I do it, so I'd really be very grateful if anyone could give me a better way to do it.
If you use a template to create a page, there are some that contain "instructional text". In edit mode, this is grey and suggests that you might want to put something in. It is not shown in the plain view mode of the page at all.That's exactly what you need, but my issue is that I don't know how to do it when you're not in a template. The reason I say it's clunky is that you can open a page with instructional text on it, select a chunk, then paste it back into the page you want it on, and then expand on it. But you can't insert it directly in edit mode.
If you are using Server you can check out this macro: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.customware.confluence.plugin.visibility/server/overview
The Visibility add-on contains macros which allow you to show or hide content based on a user's name, groups, space access, etc.
If you are using cloud, that macro won't work and you can ignore my answer.
That is a great idea to use. I do understand the "clunky" part but it is a great work around and cost saving.
It's clunky because I have to copy some existing text with the formatting and then paste it in. I'd like to be able to select it as a macro or type of text in a normal page (you can only insert it into templates)
A slightly less clunky method is to use the Confluence Source Editor add-on, then add this where you want the note to be:
<ac:placeholder>This is text only visible in edit mode.</ac:placeholder>
Unfortunately, the add-on is only available for server.
Yes, this will do the trick nicely! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Bob Swift.
Another option that I often use is the excerpt macro and select "Hide Excerpted Content"
Awesome Trick Travis... Thanks
I know this is an old thread, but it came up in a recent search so I thought I'd put in my $0.02. I only use server but I typically use the standard Page Properties macro and just check the Hidden box. You can put anything you want in the body of the macro and only editors will see it. You just have to be careful and that you use IDs for anything you want showing up in Page Properties Reports.
This works fine but I was searching to see if there was an alternative/more elegant solution.
Thanks John, this was helpful.
My customer didn't like clunky.
The following user macro allows the user to enter a note to authors (if used in a template for example) that appears in the macro box title and a checkbox to view/hide the content.
Create a User Macro with:
Macro Name: hidden_stuff
Macro Title: Hidden Stuff
Macro Body Processing: Rendered
## @param Note:desc=Example: The content below will not appear in your document.
## @param Hidden:type=boolean|default=true|desc=Uncheck to temporarily view the content in your document.
#if ($paramHidden == false)
$body
#end
My system admins said they wouldn't deploy the above macro because it duplicates functionality the Page Properties macro can provide.
I think your admins have made a mistake. The page properties macro does nothing like that!
Tell me about it.
I have found an "Hide If" macro, where you can put "Action" = "view".
In this case, the box is hidden if you are viewing the page...
Hope it helps.
I have found that I can use the align macros with css class "hidden". I image this will work with other simple macros that allow a css class to be added., but align seems like an obvious choice.
I am using Confluence 5.7
I think your option is probably the right way to do it - not a trick.
Thanks. That help me.
Thanks.
Thanks
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.