Hello Confluence / JIRA administrators out there!
I work as a university professor and I use Confluence / JIRA / Bitbucket / Bamboo for my courses that our students can learn about modern tools. I have worked in industries with Atlassian tools since 2006, so I am familiar with them. Now, I set up an environment and run into some (mystic .) trouble. Hope, that somebody can help.
The Configuration
I got two virtual machines from the university, running with modern computer hardware. The configuration:
VMware, 2 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Win Server 2012 R2. Both have open port 80 and 443.
Both are reachable over two URL, URL1 and URL2 resp. I set up SSL-connections with certificates from our university's CA. On machine 1, I run Confluence and on machine 2, JIRA and Bitbucket, and GIT, later I want to install Bamboo. Machine 2 also has an Apache 2.4 running to address JIRA with URL2/track and Bitbucket with URL2/scm. Both Atlassian's tomcat got 3 GB RAM. They run as windows services. All three applications are connected with application links. Databases: PostgreSQL 9.3. Everything runs fine.
The Problem
Every 3 to 10 days it happens that either the one or the other server is not reachable. It means in detail:
- I cannot connect over the URL(s): timeout
- I cannot - which is more serious - connect the Windows server over RDP, which is the normal administration tool of the server.
I have to raise a ticket for the university's IT administration that they restart the VM machine. Then, it works again for a period of time.
I have not found any relation to an action preceding these problems. The load is not much, up to 5 users. I also got a CPU recording from the IT administration: no unusual CPU usage,
Mystic: absolute nothing found in the logs and in the windows event records: no entries in the period in between my last usage in the time the machine is unreachable.
Done so fare
- In the night, all servers stop planed with windows task scheduler, backup is done, and machines are restarted. XML backup is disabled.
- Memory is increased, (see above), Tomcats got 3 GM, VM got 8 instead of 4 GB.
This is some very mystic to me, as I have done Java application development for 14 years, but one never stops learning .)
Does anybody has some experiences with this? For the moment, I could suspect the plugins I use (about 15 on each machine), but - they belong somehow to the system - it should work.
Any help much welcome!
Cheers,
Mike