You don't create a folder in Confluence because that is not how Confluence works. You create spaces and pages inside spaces. Or did I misunderstand the question?
Perhaps you're referring to create groups for such users. Can you polease clarify about create a folder in Confluence?
Just create and empty page with no content. Then add child pages to that page.
This helped me.
This works until you have to add two folders somewhere with the same name.
Folders you say? Well, look no further! Confluence makes it easy to leverage this most basic feature of computing that has been in existence since before the assembly language in ONLY 5-7 easy steps!1. make sure your pages are in the hierarchy you want them:
1a. Navigate into the space you want to act as a file system and select the menu
1b.
1c. Click and drag these into the structure you want:
2. Use the instructions in the link below to add child-lists to your "Folder" documents so that you can view their child-"contents" with one click:https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/children-display-macro-139501.html...and TA DA, just like that the MIND BENDING power of folders is yours to harness and direct at your most complex tasks thanks to forward-thinking at Confluence!
That's not "folders", it's just one way of using the natural structures within Confluence. The nature of Confluence data tends to make folders a redundant concept, but you can mimic them if you want. It's not that useful in Confluence, but it doesn't stop you.
"The Nature of Confluence data tends to make folders a redundant concept" Could you please expand on that? I would love to know how this post-folder world works and leverage its powers of efficiency.
Folders work for structured classifications like file systems. Confluence is a wiki, not a file system. It's not like sharepoint where documents go to die, it's supposed to be a living collaborative space where the structure is more usefully classified by content than location.
And you create subpages under pages.
I do not see a button or a menu item "add a child page" on my page.
It's interesting, I popped on here because I had the same question - I wanted to create a very simple taxonomy (just a clear separation of a couple of subject areas) so the lists of content didn't overwhelm. I was failing to find structuring mechanism beyond adding a placeholder page (I was hoping for something I could select that would show all the contained pages in the main view - perhaps even along with a short description - without manually creating that.
So, I found the make a blank page, add a sub-page. Fair enough, it works - could be improved (esp. regarding discovery) but it is what it is.
The bizarre thing (and this is my first post) is the aggressive and unhelpful nature of the 'Community Champion' commentators. This was a genuine surprise! Let's get one thing perfectly straight - users are not 'wrong' if they are unable to discover how to do something - the solution is incorrect (this might just mean not fit for what that person is trying to do, but it's certainly not a 'this software is perfect, go learn how to use it' moment).
Anyway, back to the solution...
Make a blank page, move the sub-page under that. Cool.
(and be careful about naming - there are some strange restrictions on duplicates if I recall).
Stay happy
great- how do you move a document in progress (*unpublished) into a new space that you are creating under a space for expressly that purpose- and more importantly, if you have a existing hierarchy of say 100 documents with images and cross references that you need to format into confluence for easy reference, that are all linked by an existing taxonnomy, how do I get them into a linked "spaces" setup exactly reflecting this existing structure?
Also, could someone point to useful (therefore not Atlassian) documentation on how to create "spaces" that do not have anything in them for use in confluence ? And documentation on how to move things around in Confluence? All Atlassian documentation seems to reference multiple ways to do things none of which are related to actual solutions.
I'd rather not have to go create 100 dummy spaces, then 100 dummy pages, then fill each out, then copy paste dozens of times and reformat, then move each around.. hours of work and copy paste- ? I think I'll just move it to a file share and point to it rather than try to use this?
Well put, Rick.
your space is the folder that holds all documents added to confluence.
2c - i also came here after wasting tons of time trying to figure out where "create folder" went. if a "page" actually means a space that can contain a page or a folder than we probably need a name for that thing which captures both concepts. Bottom line - I am a user wanting to create a folder to put stuff and I see this:
...my next move is to start googling how to create a folder, and landing at this thread. Having to select blank page violates the principle of least surprise.
(Tangent: please provide a markdown alternative to wysiwyg)
So, Is there a way to create a folder underneath another. I have 00's of reports to add and I don't want them obscuring other attachments in the folder above - simple use case. But Confluence does not seem to be very intuitive, as can be seen by this thread.
PS: The structure at the top certainly looks like a folder structure, no matter what you want to call it. I need to add one, not move one though.
Tx
Dazed and Confused
No, there is no such thing as a "folder" in Confluence.
To split up your content in the tree, put it on the pages.
That's semantics. They don't call them folders, but pages can have a 'folder like' structure (see very first post) and you can use them like folders. So, for all intents and purposes they act like folders, but more flexible. We will call them pages form now on so you can get over that point.
My Q. still stands as per this thread.
How to I create one and assign it as a child?
what menu option, where?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.