Hello there,
Anyone knows what happens if you input a character which is not defined in UTF-8 on JIRA, say issue description or issue summary?
Does that letter appear garbled?
UTF-8 is an encoding for the Unicode character set. Unicode contains about 109 thousand characters from 93 scripts. It is very likely that your character is covered by Unicode, too ;-)
To find your character you can use this page:http://www.unicode.org/standard/where/
How to enter Unicode characters is explained at Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input
UTF-8 is an encoding, not a character set. Do you mean input a character not in the Unicode character set? If so, which one?
Hello Jamie and Niels,
Thank you for your respective answers. You are right, utf-8 is not a character set, ut an encoding.
So I should have asked "what happens if you input a character not defined in the Unicode?" instead.
As Niels pointed out, it is unlikely to happen, since Unicode is such a big character set, but my customer is worried about that hypothetical possibility.
I'd appreciate it if you could give input on this scenario.
Best regards,
Daisuke Niwa
Well that's why I asked what character you were thinking of... it's so unlikely as to be a hypothetical question only.
There are many private code-points in Unicode that can be used arbitrarily by one party but may mean something else to someone else, so agreement would need to be made for 'meaning' to be transferrable. I ahve to say I've yet to ever come accross this, and Unicode is generally the best there is at character representation today.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_use_characters
Hello Jamie,
Understood. Let me confirm with the customer.
Regards,
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.