I manage Jira for a large org and we have Cloud (1800 users), Data Center (8000), and Server (10k+). We have a team of 6 people that manages support, infrastructure (AWS), upgrades, and migrations. Obviously that don't scale well and makes us a potential blocker for the very teams we want to help. In the past we've allowed a large number of Jira admins from other teams in order to enable self-service, but those admins haven't always made good choices about customization and it's led to a bit of a mess.
I'd like to hear how other admins handle this. Cloud has of course added self-service projects, but I'm not convinced those are 100% fully baked just yet, especially with regard to the central admin team's visibility into them.
Some things we've done recently:
- Require admins to read and sign a Confluence page called Jira Admin Code of Conduct. This is a base "I know what I'm doing and will ask for help if I don't" sort of thing.
- (Data Center) Soft barrier to custom field creation by hiding the button using CSS and encouraging admin discussion (Teams channel) about customization needs.
- More 1-on-1 time showing teams how to solve problems as a project/Jira admin.
- Bought Automation for Jira to allow project admins to do more things without needing Jira admin. We are encouraging this instead of workflow post functions or Groovy scripts.
What great ideas do you have?