I am looking for some thoughts, advice, best practices on how to organize some information that spans multiple wiki spaces. This is a fairly typical challenge of a centralized group providing a service to distributed groups, such as HR or Finance providing support to business units.
We have a team, I, which provides a service to four labs, A, B, C, and D, each with their own wiki space.
The details of the service vary by lab, and historically each lab wiki has had its own tailored service pages, which developers are accustomed to consulting.
The I team is proposing a new wiki space for the service. Moving existing lab service pages into a new space is not an option (the older service pages need to stay where they are).
Pros of a new space: feeling ownership of content, more motivation to keep it current, easier for I team to grant editor access, can include new pages inside lab space pages.
Cons of a new space: not where developers are expecting to find the information, doesn't account for existing service pages in lab wikis, possibly no control by lab space admin (me), creates yet another resource, organizational change could render team space obsolete whereas lab spaces are long-term.
At the moment I'm having the I team build their new pages in a specific "corner" of each of the lab spaces, especially space A, until we have a solid plan in place. I feel it's more important to put the end users' needs firsts, and am willing to build pages, reports, listings, tools etc. to help team I manage all the (old and new) content they're responsible for across spaces. This will require some ownership on their part and some culture change is involved.
If you have some best practices, suggestions or thoughts to share I could really use some fresh ideas.