I am looking for experience and recommendations to compare the 2 options anyone have a preference and examples to share? Any Pros and Cons to one vs the other?
Hi @Dawn Cooper
To help the community provide you suggestions, I recommend you list some of your use cases/features you need. And, perhaps perform a browser search of the needs to help you align what you are looking for to the terminology used by these tools.
Otherwise any recommendations you see from fellow users or marketplace vendors' posts may not help you. Thanks!
Best regards,
Bill
Hi @Dawn Cooper ,
That's a great question and one that I get asked all the time when I give demo calls for Custom Charts for Jira.
I'm Tom and I'm the product owner of Custom Charts having been with the app from day one. In a previous life, I was a Jira administrator who was tasked with implementing EazyBi solutions in a wide range of companies (big, small, technical, non-technical, etc.) and there were two things I noticed:
I saw these situations occurring time and time again in a number of companies I worked for so I finally decided to do something about it. That is how Custom Charts for Jira came into existance.
I see Custom Charts and EazyBi working alongside each other as they have different target users. Custom Charts is designed with great UX and simplicity at its core. Custom Charts is simple, pretty and enjoyable to use which is very important for more non-technical / business users who want to build reports for themselves without needing to constantly ask for help. The reports look modern and were designed to move away from the Windows 95 aesthetic common with existing reporting tools.
In terms of capabilities, this is a graph that I use to explain the differences between the various options:
The easiest option Jira users have is to make use of the built-in reporting tools. They are very easy to use (as they often only have one or two configuration options) but therefore have limited customizability.
At the other end of the scale are the complex big data reporting solutions such as Tableau, EazyBi, PowerBI, Dataplane, etc. These tools are very powerful but the learning curve is incredibly steep. I like to visualise that chart as a mountain slope where some super experienced climbers may make it past the initial cliff, but many inexperienced climbers won't even attempt it or start but quickly turn back.
Custom Charts is designed to be the best of both worlds. There is a very shallow learning curve allowing users to build charts and reports in seconds that look good and can be easily maintained. There are a lot of customization features that empower the individual users and helps to democratize the data in your Jira instance.
The real power of Custom Charts for users is the editor built directly into the Jira dashboard. No additional set up needed. No extra permissions and separate databases. No manual importing data and reporting on out-of-date information. Simply add a gadget to any dashboard and get started:
So far I've discussed the pros of Custom Charts. For cons, I'd say that it is not now and never will be as powerful or complex as EazyBi. If you're looking for a big data reporting tool that you can input complex logic and calculated measures, then EazyBi is the tool for you.
To put it simply, as I see it, EazyBi is designed for 10% of users in any given company, Custom Charts is for the remaining 90%.
I hope that provides some clarity on the design goals of Custom Charts and why the app exists. If you're interested in finding out more we have a few great links to help you out:
If you have any other questions, ideas or would like to know more I'm always happy to talk. The best way to reach me is at support@oldstreetsolutions.com
Thanks,
Tom - Custom Charts Product Owner
As @Bill Sheboy mentions, having in mind your use cases or benefits you're looking for would help to indicate what's the best option. And I'd add one more app to compare We provide an app called Dashboards Hub for Jira, and depending on your needs, it may help you, because provides pre-defined dashboards templates for ITSM, Agile or DevOps teams; more than 60 gadgets, metrics and the powerful custom charts, anyone can create and share reports, with external or internal stakeholders:
Integrate all your Atlassian suite: Jira Work Management, Jira Software, Jira Service Management, Statuspage, Opsgenie, Insight, Confluence, Bitbucket and the Atlassian Marketplace and soon: GitHub, ServiceNow, Freshdesk.
Custom charts for your reporting. Customizable charts with line, bar and tile charts or tables. Also aggregations to calculate sums, min or max values, average, etc.
Pre-defined dashboard templates. Use pre-defined dashboards templates and more than 60 gadgets to create dashboards for ITSM, Agile or DevOps teams.
Hybrid hostings bridge. Smooth transition to cloud: Information from server/data center instances right into your cloud dashboard.
External share. Share your dashboards with secure and unique links with external stakeholders without access to your instance.
Enterprise ready. Enterprise features like support for Unlimited Horizontal Scale, information from different instances in the same dashboard.
I'm gonna summon @Raimonds Simanovskis from eazyBI, besides being a nice guy, he can bring his vast experience!Cheers,
pd: Server, data center and Confluence versions coming soon!
Our user asked to be able to display results in a pie chart for labels without duplicating the results when an issue has more than one label
thanks, Our user asked to be able to display results in a pie chart for labels without duplicating the results when an issue has more than one label
Here's how this can be achieved in Custom Charts for Jira with a few simple clicks:
I hope that helps with your question.
Kind regards,
If you'd just need a pie chart, you could use Jira's native pie chart gadget:
But I understand that you want to filter out all the issues with just one label, right?
that is my same thought, I was researching the add ons and looking to see pros and cons of each, we are already researching EazyBI and my user asked about Custom Charts. He was questioning why we have a duplication of the ticket in the pie chart.
I am telling the user that the pie chart is not going to know when the label is a duplicating when he is pulling the label as a statistic. So the out of the box pie chart is working correctly. It is just the only example I have to offer at the moment. I was curious about the pros and cons of both add ons though.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.