Hello,
I have a huge task before me:
We have an existing documentation with appr. 300 pages and 500 images that must be transferred from another content management system ("Help&Manual") into confluence.
What is important, is the existing structure of that documentation:
In the current form all the images lie in one separate directory from where they are linked to the pages where they appear. With this, updating images is very easy. Instead of browsing through the pages to search for outdated images, my collegue just jumps to that image directory, checks the images, uploads new versions and all the rest happens automatically.
What I am searching for is a process that allows me to achieve the following:
- Automatically transfer the existing documentation into confluence
- Preserve the existing page structure (chapters, subchapters, pages, etc.)
- Have all the images of the documenation in one central space (from where they are automatically linked to the pages)
- Preserve the existing names of all that images (e.g. keep names like "DeviceA_FunctionB.png" and not change it into something like "worddavb444d7b3bded254698986b55a645d015.png")
I am aware of two methods that would help me achieve one half of what I want:
- With the "Import Word Document" I can transfer the existing documentation. (I have a Word version of this documentation available and I have done that before with other documents. So that would work.) -> Point 1 + 2
- For the images I could create one page that functions as a "container", attach all the images to that one page and then insert them into other pages with a link to that container page. -> Point 3 + 4
BUT:
I cannot combine these two methods:
- When I do a Word import, the images are attached to all those different pages where they appear and the naming of the images is completely destroyed (the "worddavb44....a645d015.png" example above)
- Creating a container page must be done "by hand" and I don't know any way to combine that with an automated approach
So what I want should be clear. I am searching for something that is better than...
- ...doing a Word import and then afterwards check hundreds of pages and images and correct the source file of it or
- ...creating a container page and afterwards split it apart, create new pages and copy and paste all the pages' content by hand
Would be great if someone came up with some ideas.
Thanks, Steffen
--------------------------
We are using confluence (Download), Version 4.3.7. The other CMS is "Help&Manual".
What is available are all the image files, all the .mnl text files (the Help&Manual format) and one big Word files with the complete documentation, exported from the old CMS.