We currently have all our Confluence nodes on one site in the Atlanta 6 data center. There are also on the same subnet, so that the multicasting necessary for cluster operations will work. In the data center, hosts can not send multicast messages between subnets, as the gateway/routers block this kind of traffic from leaving the subnet on which it originated.
We are being asked to look at what it will take to implement a fail-over site for the wiki in another data center building. The problem with Confluence clustering using multicasting is the immediate road block. Is there another way to configure clustering so that it doesn't need to use multicasting? We have licenses for 3 cluster nodes, and without buying more licenses, I was thinking to put 1 node in another data center building to satisfy the S2S requirement. But I don't want that node to be passive, otherwise I'm basically losing a node out of the cluster.