I would like to edit a Confluence page title, but I also want to keep its url: many people bookmarked pages and I don't want to break them.
Can I edit a page title but keep the previous url? (there's no special characters in title, so the page url looks like https://myConfluenceServer/display/foo/the+page+title)
Thx!
Not the "friendly name" - the friendly name of a page is always derived from the page's title. Change the title, change the url.
But Confluence pages do have a fixed id and the url that you get if you do include special characters in a title will work for it because it is based on the id, and if you look in the page properties, a short link that does not change.
In reality, even if they have bookmarked a page whose title has changed, Confluence will try to suggest where the page has moved to. It works pretty well in my experience. After the user has been redirected, they can update their bookmarks.
Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it. Just change the title as you see fit
@jonathanlermitage you can also hit the ellipsis (...) and view the Page Information section to get a Tiny URL that is immutable (doesn't change when you change the page name) -- I use that when circulating pages to people in my business.
Thx for your help.
At least, I can ask people to edit their bookmarks to use tiny urls, then I will rename pages. Thx!
Perfect! This is good to know. Thank you!
Thanks @Thomas Bowskill . That is super helpful information. I find it very frustrating that as we try to reorganize a growing wiki page, the links keep breaking as headings get renamed etc. The tiny link solves all of that.
I wish they would make that a default option in the future.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.