I won't repeat the dozens of comments here about the change to using HTML as the content storage format instead of wiki markup and the removal of the associated editor - I'm sure (I hope!) Atlassian had good reasons for doing so.
However there are still many nuisances in the new editor and lots of tasks that were super-easy and took seconds to do with wiki markup are now either simply not possible with the new editor or take *MUCH* longer. A simple example (one of many but I won't include any of the others here - and yes I have tried reading all the documentation about the new editor and all the shortcut keys):
I'm entering a numbered list which has macros beneath some of the options (e.g. info, code, etc.). Unless I am extremely careful to hit SHIFT-ENTER at the point where I want to insert one of these macros the list breaks and it re-starts from one. ONLY solution I've found so far is to:
- Cut the content within a macro;
- Delete the macro;
- Position the cursor to the end of the list entry where I want the macro to go;
- Hit SHIFT-ENTER;
- Enter a new macro;
- Paste the cut contents from the old marco into the new macro.
With wiki mark-up ALL I had to do was simply remove a single line break to fix the list and ensure the numbering continued. This took a couple of seconds. The above takes me at least 40 seconds (since some of the tasks involved have no keyboard shortcuts)!
And if you make a mistake and do this at several points in the list or far down the list then God help you trying to fix it.
Atlassian: You've taken an amazing bit of functionality for power users (the wiki mark-up) which allowed developers (i.e. the PRIMARY users of your products) to create great-looking pages very easily and quickly and "converted" it to a sub-standard "version 1 beta" of a word-processor that satisfies neither power users nor experienced MS Word users. What is the point??!
So PLEASE at least give us back the ability to edit the source somehow. In the above example I could enter the source editor adjust the <li> and </li> tags a bit and hey presto my problem solved much quicker than using the convoluted procedure above (although not as fast as with the wiki mark-up).
PLEASE do not alienate your loyal power users by trying to appeal to the masses via a sub-standard "word-processor" functionality without offering an alternative for power users.
Thank you.