I have a custom field (checkboxes) which has several options. Let's say they are department names:
- Facilities
- Operations
- Human Resources
- Transportation
I also have a table in my SQL that has these same values in one column, plus other values in other columns. Then, I use a post-function that retrieves other information from that table based on the options selected, and sets other field values accordingly.
- Facilities / Assignee: John F / Manager: Linda R
- Operations / Assignee: Pamela M / Manager: Craig D
- Human Resources / Assignee: Roger C / Manager: Cindy H
- Transportation / Assignee: Howard W / Manager: Paul J
I have been able to make this work, but as you are probably aware, organizations change and departments get renamed, split up, merged, etc. When this happens, I have to manually update the department names in both the custom field configuration AND the SQL look-up table so that they still have matching values.
What I would like to do is make it use a SQL [UPDATE] script to change the department names in both the lookup table AND the custom field configuration at the same time. This seems like something I should be able to do without a whole lot of trouble, because they're already existing in both places. But...
What if a new department - IT Services - needs to be included? I can definitely use a SQL [INSERT] script to add the new row to the lookup table, but can I use an [INSERT] to add that department name as a new option in the field configuration?