Hello Atlassian/Jira community!
I have a question for you today...how do you all handle managing defects through environments?
Let me give you some context on the situation. We currently have a QA environment where the majority of our testing takes place. In addition, we have a Pre-Production environment, or a staging environment, that everything gets promoted to once validated and approved in our QA environment. Finally, we have Production when the product goes Live.
The current issue I am trying to figure out is if a defect is found in the QA environment, how do you handle it once it is fixed and validated in the QA environment? Do you close it and create a test case to account for that potential issue going forward? Do you keep the defect open into Pre-Production and only close it before going to Production?
The reason I'm asking this is that I'm trying to provide reports to upper management, but the current way we handle defects makes those reports inaccurate. We are currently leaving the defects open through the environments and are only closing them once a deliverable goes to Production. This skews reports such as Defect Age and Created v. Resolved.
I'm all ears here and would love to hear what others do that have a similar setup. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I can answer any clarifying questions you might have!