I've used the backslash to escape most other special characters. However, when I tried to escape a backslash, the expected "\\" was converted to a newline.
Hi @Aaron Grosky ,
As far that I know you don't need to escape backslash "\"; You can go ahead and just use the backslash character.
I've tested in a JIRA description and I had the following result:
using \ resulted in \
using \\ resulted in a newline as you mentioned.
If my answer don't answer your question, please share with us step-by-step with your issue.
@Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] Maybe a misunderstand.
As the AG said, the expected "\\" was converted to a newline.
I raised the similar jira questions earlier: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-i-input-quot-0-quot-and-quot-0-quot-in-JIRA-comments/qaq-p/1562170, no response yet.
If you want to have \\ you should type \\\\
use \\\\ results in \\
@Italo Qualisoni _e-Core_
@Wu Chen did not misunderstand me. I tried to highlight a backslash, e.g. "... use a \ to ...". *\* becomes ** and *\\* becomes two stars separated by a newline.
For consistency, any special character following a backslash should have its meaning changed. \\ should make the second \ a printable \. should not complain about the text which follow it (an unescaped @ is not a problem since it formats correctly). \newline should be the way to force a newline (change the newline from white space to a required newline).
IMO, both \\ and not escaping the second character are bugs and should be fixed. If \\ is a documented way of forcing a newline, then fixing this may be difficult because of backward compatibility.
You can paste this character in: \
It looks like the backslash (REVERSE SOLIDUS), but it is actually another character, called FULLWIDTH REVERSE SOLIDUS.
There is also this one: ﹨(SMALL REVERSE SOLIDUS) and this one: ╲ (BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT DIAGONAL UPPER LEFT TO LOWER RIGHT).
They really make you jump through hoops to get something that looks like a backslash in the Jira comment.
You can also insert a zero-width space in between the backslash and the character that would make it act like an escape. Like this:
\_ or \*
This is due to a mistake Atlassian made with the markup syntax early on, using the double backslash character sequence as a newline. I agree that it is frustrating, but Atlassian has repeatedly stated that they won't fix it because it would break backwards compatibility.
As described in JRASERVER-9528, a bug report on this subject, the official recommendation/workaround is to use the HTML character sequence for the backslash character:
\
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.