I'm copying components from one project to another - manually - and this is painful. I would love to find a way to just bulk copy the components over, or at least import from a list. Paid components are not an option.
You could use the CSV import tool to create a bunch of bogus issues with the components you want. It's messy as it leaves behind unwanted issues, but I think it would work.
Any reason why you can't use the the REST api?
https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/#api/2/component-createComponent
Ummm... because I don't know how
That's a good reason. It might be worth the time investment if you're going to do that sort of task again. Personally, I use the CLI plugin whenever I can, but it's paid, so
For the REST api, you'd need some basic coding skills. Here's something to get you started:
https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-apis/jira-rest-apis
Good luck!
I used this
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-clone-project-plugin/server/overview
But that only works for Server
Martin, what do you mean?
That if I have got Jira Cloud there is no point in downloading the plugin?
Just by typing the question I realize that it may very well be the meaning :-)
Anyway, is there really no other options to accomplish this?
Best,
Gianfranco
I realize this solution uses a paid plugin. But I am adding it because I ran into the same need, and whipped something up. Hopefully it will be of help to folks.
This can be run via script runner in the script runner console. It's pretty crude -- it simply adds the strings in the list to the target project as components (if I have time, I will refactor it to be a little more flexible -- it's not that hard (for example) to copy the stuff from the source project to a target project).
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessorimport org.apache.log4j.Loggerimport org.apache.log4j.Leveldef log = Logger.getLogger("Component Backfill Script")log.setLevel(Level.DEBUG)def projectComponentManager = ComponentAccessor.getProjectComponentManager()// The projectkey and id of where you want the components to be addeddef projectKey = "FOOBAR"Long projectId = 12345def newComponent = ""def componentList = ["apple", "banana", "orange"]componentList.each { newComponent = it/* see the blank quotes below? You can specify description and user for each component. But if you do that, you'll need to add logic that parses that additional information, or programmatically pull it from components from the source project*/try { projectComponentManager.create(newComponent, "", "", 1, projectId) log.debug "Created component ${newComponent} for project ${projectKey}" }catch(e) {log.debug "Ran into a problem creating a component for ${projectKey} n\" + e.message" }}
Thanks - we didn't have scriptrunner, though.
No worries. If I have time, I will show a pure rest-api approach.
I found a way to create a simple list of components (or labels) which I posted here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-get-a-list-of-active-components-in-JIRA-and-export-them/qaq-p/419207
I don't know about importing components from a list though.
Thanks Bryan,
i addapted your scrip to pull all components from one project and insert them into another:
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessorimport org.apache.log4j.Loggerimport org.apache.log4j.Leveldef log = Logger.getLogger("Component Backfill Script")log.setLevel(Level.DEBUG)def projectComponentManager = ComponentAccessor.getProjectComponentManager()//def projectManager = ComponentAccessor.getProjectManager()// The projectkey and id of where you want the components to be addedLong projectId = 12345 // Project ID to copy components fromdef projectKeyTo = "HSR" // Project Key to copy toLong projectIdTo = 11111 // Project ID to copy todef newComponent = ""def componentList = projectComponentManager.findAllForProject(projectId)componentList.each { newComponent = it /* see the blank quotes below? You can specify description and user for each component. But if you do that, you'll need to add logic that parses that additional information, or programmatically pull it from components from the source project */ try { projectComponentManager.create(newComponent.name, newComponent.description, newComponent.lead, newComponent.assigneeType, projectIdTo) log.debug "Created component ${newComponent} for project ${projectKeyTo}" } catch(e) { log.debug "Ran into a problem creating a component for ${projectKey} n\" + e.message" }}
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.