I'm planning to transfer a JIRA installation from one server to a different one, and at the same time to upgrade JIRA versions from 4.4.3 to 5.1.5.
I have successfully carried out the following steps:
1. Install JIRA 4.4.3 on brand new server.
2. On first run import current data from backup of old JIRA installation without supplying a license key.
3. Step-by-step upgrade of JIRA to current version.
Afterwards everything worked fine for about two weeks. Since this test upgrade went well I tried to
1. Uninstalled JIRA from new server.
2. Informed users not to do any modifications to the old JIRA installation.
3. Created backup of old JIRA installation.
4. Installed JIRA 4.4.3 on new server.
5. On first run import current data from backup of old JIRA installation without supplying a license key.
For the first few minutes everything worked fine as before. Then suddenly I got logged out and wasn't able to log back in.
I've retried the installation with different JIRA versions a few times with and without supplying an evaluation license but at the end of the data import I always get the message:
It seems that you have tried to setup JIRA when it is already setup.
And I'm never able to log in to the new JIRA instance.
Hope you can help,
Andre Esser