We have a Jira instance that our developers have been using for a number of years (approx. 12,000 issues), internal use only. Now our Operations team wants to move to Jira from another product (will also be internal only). The Ops team have a tendancy to create tickets with a large number of attachments consisting primarily (though not exclusively) of screenshots and UAT documentation (about 1.5gb of attachments/year in the old system).
Basically, I wanted to know if there are best practices for attachment management. Is there a large performance impact to having a large number of attachments on issues (and can that impact be mitigated by increasing system resources)? Is there a certain number of issues under which the number of attachments wouldn't impact performance (in other words, am I worrying too much too early? Should I not worry about it until we are in the neighborhood of 20,000-30,000 tickets?) Should I keep them seperate and give them each a jira instance, or is that overkill?
I realize there are several ways we could go, just not sure what is recommended (or easiest). If necessary, the Ops team is willing to keep some of their artifacts on a file-share instead of attaching them to issues, then add a reference to the file-share in the issue.