Hello!
Could JIRA work with millions users, hundreds (maybe, thousands, projects) and billions bugs and tasks? What storage and memory will needs for these?
Hi norlin,
first of all, what you're asking of your JIRA might be a lot
Anyway, hard numbers on when JIRA stops performing well can not be given, as this is allways a combination of the amount of data (and which dat) and your configuration (e.g. custom fields).
Whalt I could tell you is that the number of Users does not matter at all. Also hundreds of project should not caus a pain, unsure about thousands though (as this could be 2.000 or 900.000...). Billions of issues might seem a bit steep, but I would say it still could work out depending on your configuration. If you want to have some numbers as guidline, I strongly suggest to check out this page in the official documentation. Generaly speking, Atlassian improed JIRA's performance a lot in JIRA 5.1 so this might just be worth a try.
In order ot get more detailed information, you could also try the JIRA data generator, described here.
And just in case JIRA is not 'fast' enough, yuo could just split your future JIRA instance and connect them via application links, so they act (mostly) like it's still one system (from a user's perspective).
Hope that helps? Cheers, David
The number of users does matter in large scale installations - it caches a user list (less of a problem in later versions, but large numbers of users still have an impact when people are searching/selecting on them). More important is the number of concurrent users though - the main Jira performance problems I've seen are things like the "Thursday weekly meeting, so 50 people all need to run filters at the same time" effect.
Thanks Nic for the comment! While it kind of makes sense that large user base matters somehow I should have indeed pointed out that the number of concurrent users has quite of a big effect. Thanks for adding that!
Thank you David and Nic!
I just want to try make "bugtracker for government" (in Russia) and looking for best bugtracker ^_^. But JIRA is proprietary, so it would hard to make upgrades and fixes quickly... Exept this, JIRA is my favorite bugtracker.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.