I'm moving Confluence off an old server onto a new QA and a new production server. I also need to upgrade. I began by creating a backup of the database, installing the current version of Confluence (4.0.3) and pointing the new instance to the database backup. That gave me a working version identical to my current production version, minus the attachments. I followed these steps on both the new QA and production instances.
So, I had two working instances on two separate servers using Confluence 4.0.3. I then upgraded QA to 5.4 and it worked fine. The problem came when I copied over the original data directory to get the attachments, and in the process overwrote confluence.cfg.xml, and whatever other vital file was in that directory structure.
What would be the best strategy to fix this? I corrected the database connection and license information in the XML file from the working production version, but I'm getting an Apache error. Should I just go back and reinstall, or is there an easier way to repair this?