Hi
I'm editing a page in confluence ( in google chrome) and i need to add a table from excel into confluence. When i copy and paste the table across though the cells get pasted only in the first cell of the table in confluence. How can I copy and paste the table across so that the format stays the same?
Hi Krisan
You need to either select an identical layout for your table to match the number of columns/rows being copied across or not copy into any table in which case Confluence will then create the table for you to the right size.
You can also create a 1 cell x 1 cell table and paste the Excel table into the cell and Confluence will build out the table correctly.
But this does not work if you try to do this within a page 'Section' - only if you are outside a 'Section' so within the page body itself.
Also:
If you want to enable the Confluence feature which allows the sorting by column when the page is in display mode, you have to create a table which has a header row with the exact number of columns in it. You then copy the Excel table, and paste it into the left-most column (first column), and Confluence will build the table out, and sorting will be enabled in display mode.
Hi krisan,
If you want to copy paste single or multiple rows from excel to confluence, just create new rows (whose number equals to what you are trying to paste). And copy the rows from excel and paste them in the first empty cell.
If you have any problem with this, better create a new page in new tab and paste the table, then copy the rows and paste it in the page where you want to insert, before that create a single empty row.
for me it also does not work, but i'm doing it in JIRA and not in confluence.
In JIRA, you can use this handy tool to make the table markup:
http://excel2jira.bluurgh.com/
It's fantastic.
Jira don't do tables like Confluence does. :-(
Hi all,
If it isn't pasting from Excel properly (I.e. pasting everything in the first cell), save the confluence page and then click edit page again and the paste seems to work for me after that.
Rowland
Make sure you are pasting via the right-click menu (and selecting "Paste") rather than pasting via the CMD-V method...
This worked for me. Thank you...!!!
I need to know if there is an automatic way to import the file that I need to make available on the platform. The file is a table with more than 3800 rows and I need a page for each of these rows.
This worked for me. Thanks!
This won't help everyone, but I'll leave it here in case.
My workflow was Excel to Confluence Cloud via Safari, inserting into a blank 1x1 table. That used to work but today it didn't.
My new workflow is:
Can't tell if I'm experiencing user problems or if there's something else going on, but this method works for me and might be useful for anyone working on Mac.
I wanted to add my two cents - I was trying to copy from Excel Online and none of the above worked. Eventually I downloaded the sheet and the copy and paste worked like a charm - even though I was in a section and the table wasn't the right size to start.
This worked for us, thanks Uma!
One workaround that worked for me was copy&paste the table from MS Excel to MS Word. Copy again from MS Word and than paste to Confluence. Now the table was created even with header row being recognized.
Worked for me. I had created an empty table with only headings, and pasted the contents from Word to that table.
I just solved this by:
-Created a table in Confluence with the appropriate amount of columns (didn't worry about rows)
-Copied table in Excel
-Pasted into Word (this made a nice table for me without me having to do anything)
-Copying this table from Word into the confluence table
Hope this works for you Note I was using the Office 365 web app versions of excel and word but I can't imagine this makes a huge difference.
Here is my workflow to get around this obvious need in Confluence.
1. Open the target Confluence page in edit mode.
2. Use the following URL to paste your table.
https://excel2jira.bluurgh.com/
Note: Yes, the above link is intended for Jira but the markup syntax it generated is universal.
3. Copy the converted table data, now in markup syntax
4. Back in Confluence, use "Ctrl+Shift+D" (Insert Markup), paste your markup into the insert frame (left), verify the preview, select > insert and bingo, the markup pastes into my page as a table. I have not seen it fail yet but I am sure there are some limits (Size, conversion, etc.).
Are you able to retain your excel formatting?
Works to me, thanks
Worked like a charm! thanks
I faced the same issue while I was trying to copy the table directly from Excel to confluence
But as a workaround I was able to copy from Excel to Google Sheets and then from Google Sheets to Confluence
I found that I could copy large portions of a table but then it would just stall out.
Eventually, I figured out that if there are any lines within any of those copied cells that could be interpreted as bulleted or numbered (even if they're not), confluence chokes and just ignores the whole paste request.
When I came to one of those cells, I would copy it in directly as text grab, rather than the whole cell, and confluence would take it and format the bullets/numbers as it normally does. Then I was free to carry on pasting huge swathes of excel cells until hitting the next bulleted or numbered item.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.