Is anyone else seeing this problem? Over time, I see a lot of junk HTML inserted into my Confluence pages.
I will work on a page, then come back to it and work on it further (applying the styles from the menu or just typing directly in Confluence). Over time, the HTML source (as viewed in the Confluence editor) collects "junk". For example, a randomly inserted non-breaking space. Part of a paragraph will change to a different color, the font will change to a different style (bold, italic), letter spacing will change, etc. Rather than simple HTML, complex formatting gets inserted seemingly at random. The only way I could see this "junk" entering Confluence is if someone were copying text from a pre-formatted source into the page, which I've already ruled out: as the sole editor of a page I can close and re-open it moments or days later and see new junk in the HTML that I know I didn't enter (and there were no other editors according to the page history).
Are you seeing this problem?
Examples of simple HTML tags that got corrupted over time: (corrupted parts underlined)
- <p><spanstyle="color: rgb(0,0,0);">blah blah blah...
- <h2><span style="letter-spacing: -0.008em;">Features</span></h2>
- <p>Refer to the chapter <em>blah blah blah...
- <p class="BodyText1">Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
- <h6><strong><span style="color: rgb(94,108,132);">Blah blah blah...</span></strong></h6>
- <p><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px;">Blah blah blah...
- <h2><span style="font-size: 20.0px;letter-spacing: -0.008em;">Blah blah blah...
- Blah blah blah...<strong style="letter-spacing: 0.0px;">blah blah blah</strong>
- Blah blah blah <em>blah </em>blah blah blah...
- <li><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px;">Blah blah blah
This junk, when exported to Word, creates an even bigger mess of styles that I have to manually correct and map to a single (example) Heading 1 style or body style.
Atlassian's position is that the only solution is to buy a third-party extension (not in my budget) that will fix the junk output (according to the sales pitches of the extension manufacturers...).