We just migrated our Jira service desk cloud to server. Our customer "Joe" created an issue by emailing our help desk and he got our agent's reply comment as an email. But when "Joe" replied back his reply didn't get added to the issue as a comment.
For 'Who can raise requests' we have customer permissions set to 'Customers who are added to the project'. For 'Who can customers share requests with' we have customer permissions set to 'Other customers in their organization'. "Joe" is in the project's customer list in the Organization, "Example".
Using the permission helper, I found out that "Joe" doesn't have the 'add comments' permission. But when I looked at the permission scheme for the project, under 'Add Comments', permission has been granted to 'Service desk customer - portal access'. This setting matches what we had in the cloud and we had no problems with customer reply emails being added as comments.
Does 'Service desk customer - portal access' not give permission to our customers who never log into the portal (which is most of our customers)? Is there another setting somewhere that I need to change?